Legenda 39: Stuff worth reading
[Legenda offers a brief, non-inclusive index of stuff I noticed and enjoyed since the last episode. It doesn't usually include materials presented on the major fansites, which I love dearly, but which are linked in the sidebar. Because I always forget or just miss stuff, please add additional pieces of interest via link in the comments.]
Armitage Day is coming up — August 22nd!
If you want to send Richard Armitage a birthday present — an easy way to do it and something we know he wants: a donation to one of the four charities he has set up fundraising links to at JustGiving. Takes just a few minutes. Easy! It’s the thought that counts!
Beginning August 22nd, don’t forget to look for posts relating to King Richard Armitage Week. Participants include fitzg, Fly High!, CDoart: Richard Armitage & History & Spooks, Something About Love, White Rose: Sincere and Simple Thoughts, and me.
This is the project home page! It will be worth your while to check in daily during the event, because we’re doing a charity quiz. New questions will be posted each day, to contribute to a solution that can be submitted by email by the end of the week. The winner of the quiz will receive a small commemorative item as a memento of their amazing knowledge of Richard III / Richard Armitage lore, and in honor of the victory, a modest donation will be made to the Richard Armitage JustGiving charity of the winner’s choice, too. More details about this activity will be available shortly.
Other Armitage Day and birthday-related activities for us to enjoy:
- Crispin’s Eclipse is doing a daily countdown to August 22nd, called Armitage Day by some of us. These are really beautiful musings on her favorite pictures. Check it out.
- spReAd the love is hoping to collect 100 contributions of a pint of blood or pound of food by fans of Richard Armitage before August 22nd. Thanks to all who have donated — after much procrastination, I finally managed my own donation last Sunday. But we still have more than a week left!
- You can sign the RichardArmitageNet.com guestbook that passes birthday greetings on to Mr. Armitage here.
- Add to C19′s annual collection of birthday greetings here (you must be a C19 member to post).
- You can add to a similar list at Richard Armitage Central here (you must be a member to post).
- Please add any other Armitage Day related activities in the comments so everyone knows about them!
- One of my favorite things written recently, a fic about an anonymous actor without fans. Love it when Judiang writes parables. Or takes people on a walking tour of her neighborhood. She’s had an amazing writing week and I hope this means Winston has run away for good. Creativity ahoy!
- Armitage’s clothing in San Diego and Part 2.
- Richard Armitage Olympic Events!
- Pool Time!
- Check out the results of the latest collaborative challenge at bccmee’s!
- GB’s teenage Armitage bedroom. He must have some of the most tolerant parents on the planet. But it gives me a concrete sense of the important role Armitage fandom played in his development.
- Even cats adore Guy of Gisborne!
- GB is starting a collaborative cartoon project. Weigh in to help him out!
- My favorite thing from tumblr this week. I’d just die laughing if Armitage became a rifle fan. Or maybe not — love that he’s a self-described pacifist.
- Best question asked this week: Who is the sweatiest?
- Richard Armitage and the world “bulge.”
- Thoughtful post on the Spooks plotlines that involved Lucas North.
- The latest article re: The Hobbit in EW. I’m grateful when people post these summaries as I don’t read this — except, oddly, while I was in the waiting room at my father’s cataract surgery, and the issue with the Thorin pics was there. Couldn’t believe no one had stolen it!
- And this, re: Lovelace, which appeared on FB. Lovelace, perhaps, though not his fans:
- khandy’s “Absolution” (John Porter) goes to chapter 12. I’ve missed this story so much!
- Sharing a bedroom with Lucas after his return from Russia (G rated). Tender!
- Trudy, I need you to get back from that vacation and write. There’s a consummation that I’m devoutly wishing and you’re responsible for providing it. Trudy, this means you!
OT, collateral attractions, and stuff I think about:
- On creativity and honoring the inner child.
- Because fan and author interests (as opposed to publishers’ calculations about profitability) drive e-publishing, the world suddenly looks a lot more diverse.
- A frightening story on how chaining all your internet logons together can simplify getting hacked. In other news, gmail thinks it’s a good idea to search your own gmail when you use google search while logged on to your gmail account — they think you will love it. Hmmm.
- LeakyCon 3 (global Harry Potter convention).