Legenda 45: Stuff worth reading
[Legenda offers a brief, non-inclusive index of stuff I noticed and enjoyed since the last episode. It doesn't usually include materials presented on the major fansites, which I love dearly, but which are linked in the sidebar. Because I always forget or just miss stuff, please add additional pieces of interest via link in the comments.]
This week the Armitage blogosphere was all about the trailer: the week’s big news. (It was big enough that readers of this blog temporarily knocked the post about Annabel Capper off the list of “most viewed.” I was stunned!) I’ve linked to numerous responses to it in the posts below, but here are a few more:
- Antonia Romera links the Spanish version of the trailer. What do you think of the voices in the dubbing?
- Fabo can’t decide which trailer variant to love.
- Herba’s reaction (in German).
- At Fly High!: “Reading The Hobbit in Search of Thorin, part III,” which includes her take on the trailer.
- olessan was amused.
- A new blog that looks like it’s going to have some Armitage in it. Welcome! Here, an initial post on why watching Armitage can be such a comfort.
- At Heirs of Durin: On the photographers who’ve been taking all these amazing shots of our hero.
- Also at Heirs of Durin: complete screencaps of all the different trailers.
- Beautiful Thorin art — but I can’t decide if it’s too smooth. I’ve left a question over there in the comments. What do you think?
- Avalon thinks Richard Armitage bears a resemblance to GOP Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan. (As I try to keep politics off this blog, please leave any political comments over there. Thanks.)
- Charlotte Hawkins plans to introduce Thorin to Walt Disney World. Are worlds colliding here?
- What happens when cats watch Richard Armitage!
- Hobbit trailer #2 animated GIFs.
- Jazz proposes a very postmodern mashup.
- Nat’s husband comes home look like — who is that again?
- Someone else is struggling with Guy of Gisborne, too.
- A piece of essential Thorin Oakenshield gear that didn’t make it into the trailer.
- An interview with one of the authors of the recent spate of Armitage RPF that muses on the attractiveness of the genre. Highly interesting in terms of the meaning and contest of RPF and probably worthy of more comment from me eventually.
- Proof of the conspiracy to hook up Armitage fans to Downton Abbey.
- Mulubinba celebrates Hobbit Day by shopping for a costume to wear to the premiere in Wellington.
- Trudy, your vacation’s over and it’s time to start putting out again. Thank you for your attention!
- GB’s “One Last Try” goes to chapter 6 (Guy + Marian, AU).
- Atmospheric: we-go-north’s brief N&S fic from Thornton’s viewpoint. Check out the author’s whole “fic week” series here.
- The Housework Series (RH AU; Guy + Robin, so slash; explicit). Very campy but somehow funny and hot at the same time.
- Richard Armitage / Aidan Turner RPF. Slash, but rated G — and very, very sweet. I like this so well that I’m going to make a big claim: if you’re ever going to like slash, this is a piece you should like; if you don’t like this piece, you will never like slash. (And if you don’t like RPF or slash, please don’t go over there, and if you go over there anyway, please don’t take it out on the author. I’m just trying to give a sweet piece some love and attention, not start yet another flame over this issue. Thanks!) — ETA — LINK NOW FIXED.
- “Up, Up and Oh My,” a sweet fireside fantasy. RPF / Explicit.
- Need your tires inflated? Check this piece at RAucous out. RPF / explicit.
- Here’s a link to all the Anonymous Professor A episodes. RPF / explicit.
Stuff I liked from tumblr:
Still fighting with the interface and unsure I’m seeing everything that’s there or that I want to see, but here’s some stuff I liked anyway.
- Playazindaback’s “Say Nice Things About Detroit” (cartoon series that climaxes with the blogger meeting Richard Armitage on the Black Sky location filming) is tagged here through episode 7 (I had put up separate links to the first three parts in a previous Legenda). I understand there will be one more episode.
- At Oakenshielded, a neat animated GIF.
- Richard Armitage Spam.
- I get the impression that there’s some kind of animated GIF contest going on at tumblr. In any case: Guy in the hanging scene; The second Hobbit trailer; John Mulligan.
- Dwarves are afraid of fangirls!
OT, collateral attractions, and stuff I think about:
- I told you last week that Nat got a new blog. More bloggers we know are starting new writing projects: Jazzbaby is blogging about her house renovation here; Frenz, calling herself Zee, is blogging about her passions here.
- Via his own FB feed, a neat story about Ian McKellen.
- If you like Downton Abbey, alternative Victorianesque literary classics you might enjoy. I have to admit that what I learned from this post is that I probably like Victorian lit better — several of these titles (Fingersmith; Mr. Strange) were big bestsellers I couldn’t get into.
- The art exhibit I’d like to see in London this fall.
- Love this beef casserole recipe idea. I think I’m getting myself this cookbook!